Thursday 17 February 2011

PRINTS OF DARKNESS: PROJECT BRIEF PART 2

For this next part of the briefing, I was given a project based on a theme of interiors and bearing the title 'prints of darkness'.
This brief could most definately be interpreted in a number of ways, however, the most obvious solution is to look towards gothic movements in art, culture and design. This take on the briefing title, however, is not a route which i am going to chose to follow. After mind mapping the possibilities, I have decided to narrow my subject matter to two themes: one being night sky landscape scenes; the other being medieval images and styles.

From my initial research (blogs to follow) i have chosen to use the medieval theme, as I feel it will work better with the type of artifact I have planned to create.

The 'Dark ages' is a term origionally given to the majority of the Middle ages, which began to be an popular term from the early 1600's. Times of Knights, armour, fair maidens and kingdoms are the first connotations I find from the phrase the 'dark ages', however, I do want to research futher into the art movements and imagery of the era, and the fashions, pattern and materials used so as to make my work for this projects reference as well as possible to the theme I have chosen.

The artifact that have chosen to create will is a patchwork quilt/cover. I plan to use various print techniques to create patterns and imagery refelcting my chosen theme, printing onto panels of material of various colours, and using a variety of sewing skills to create a full sized patchwork quilt cover from scatch. This should prove quite time consuming as i want to use a different image for each panel of material, which means designing and printing at least 10 different images. I want to use atleast two techniques of print anyway as to create different textures and results within the artifact. After reseaching and designing my images, I want to experiment printing them in various ways to achieve the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment